To Help You Get Started....
The following websites are extremely helpful for fans that want to better understand player value and advanced statistics:
- Fangraphs: WAR Values and more, with excellent articles
- Baseball Reference: More WAR Values and more
- Baseball Savant: New data kept by MLB and presented through podcasts and various articles
- Statcast: A fan-friendlier version of the Baseball Savant info
- Statcast Podcast: A quick review of interesting things that recently happened, using new metrics.
- Baseball Prospectus: You have to pay, so many will avoid it, but they really know their stuff. This might be for the fan ready to graduate from the basics!
- Hall of Fame Tracker by Ryan Thibodaux: Hall of Fame Poll! His Twitter is also a must-follow as we await HOF results
- Hardball Times: It now belongs to Fangraphs, but it is good
- Pitcher List: Watch your favorite pitchers throw all of their pitches. Many of the GIFs are dated, and many pitchers need to be included, but the concept is solid gold and the site is extremely fun to peruse.
- Razzball: Started during the writer's strike many years ago, this is the best Fantasy Baseball site you will find. Grey is smart, funny, and ready to help you crush your friends in Fantasy Leagues.
- Cot's Contracts: So much info regarding contracts
- The Fielding Bible: Better than a Gold Glove!
- Favorite Independent-ish Writers
- Keith Law: Not independent, and not free, but easily one of our favorites. He's snarky, and bull-headed, but often right.
- Rob Neyer: Doesn't write much anymore, but truly pioneered this whole "Smart Baseball Writing" thing
- Joe Posnanski: Very similar to Neyer, without the tie to Bill James
- Jonah Keri: He loves the Expos. His podcast covers many topics, but he's a great baseball writer.