Last year, I watched the home run derby live from the right field bleachers. Unfortunately, no left-handers got out of the first round and I never saw a ball come all that close to me. Fortunately, the derby was amazing, and totally worth the ludicrous amount of money I paid to sit there. This year's derby participants are arguably more exciting than last year's. Here are my predictions:
1. Stanton will repeat. I know we all want to believe that Judge and Bellinger will destroy the world, and I think they will, but this world still belongs to Stanton. Last year, I watched the batting practice before the derby (yes, that exists) and saw Stanton hit about ten balls deep into the stands. That was immediately before the derby. I was immediately betting on Stanton, and I still am.
2. Sano will surprise. The top four will be Giancarlo, Sano, Bellinger and Judge. I think that Sano will shine, but he won't get past the hometown homerun hero.
3. There will be a semifinal between Judge and Bellinger, and Twitter might explode and die.
4. The hometown fans will go insane.
5. You will all have creepy dreams of that giant outfield monstrosity chasing you after watching the derby.
Spanning an entire continent, lifelong fans Chris Kubak and Tom Baird take you on a magical, sabermetrically enhanced journey through Major League Baseball.